Friday, April 29, 2011

The Source

When we were studying John 9 in Youth Group (the story of the man born blind), our youth pastor John Casper said something that’s altering my reality.
He said, “the sign is essentially immaterial. It’s the source that matters.”
So it’s not a matter of the miracle happening in my life. Instead, it’s a matter of God showing up.

Its very similar to a thought one of my friends expressed a few months ago.
“I never realized that after Job’s life fell apart and he cried out for answers and wrestled with the question “Why?” for about 35 chapters God finally showed up and answered not one of his questions. Instead God began to declare his sovereignty and wisdom. He asked Job, “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth (Job 38:4). After God finished His divine speech Job responded, “I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you” (Job 42:5). Job didn’t get answers, he got God.” –http://lwiltonh.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/in-the-silence/ (emphasis mine).

It doesn’t matter if my questions get answered–unless they usher in the presence of God. The sign points to the source.

No comments:

Post a Comment